Menorca, is one of the Balearic islands off the coast of Spain. We have visited Menorca four times, stayed in Son Bou three, and are visiting again this September. So, why visit Menorca?
What is it?
The smallest of the Balearic Islands off the coast of Spain.
Why we love it:
- It is roughly a two hour flight from the UK.
- It has virtually wall to wall sunshine from May to October.
- The island is tiny – it is an hours drive from end – to – end.
- The beaches and coast are absolutely stunning.
- The history visible on the island – prehistoric villages and settlements.
- Monte Torro – the incredible highest mountain on the island with panoramic views of the whole island.
Our Top Tips
- It can be quite windy, even in summer so pop a sweater in your suitcase.
- Car hire is ridiculously expensive, especially if booking before you go. Most resorts have a car hire office and you can haggle a better deal when you are there. You need a car to really see the island.
- Make sure you explore the historical sites on the island – many are free to visit on a Sunday. They are fascinating.
- The people of Menorca love children and most restaurants have highchairs, baby changing facilities, and they will make a big fuss of your children.
- Watch out for siesta time, particularly in Mahon and Cuitadella. Most shops close between 2pm – 5pm.